Check back regularly for the latest on following a plant based diet, staying fit, personal spirituality and living a balanced life. I will be sharing my experiences as well as providing answers to some of the questions sent to me.

I will be posting some of my favorite recipes and hope to somehow find the time to setup some cooking demonstrations. I also will be posting some great resources for those who want to learn more about plant based diets.

I believe that today is an awesome day,

but tomorrow is going to be even better!


Saturday, September 14, 2013

Vegetable Lo Mein


I’m baaaack!

I know I haven’t posted for some time.  But I have several excuses:
My son and daughter in law visited for a week from California.
My daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandchildren moved back to Ohio from California.
My other son began his studies at St. John’s Seminary in Los Angeles.

And then of course there was fishing in Michigan, biking, and cooking.  Lots of cooking, trying new recipes and making up my own.

 It was a great summer!  How about yours?

 I love summertime with all of the fresh produce available.  It was a great year for some things, especially sweet corn, and a not so great year for others.  So, I hope to start posting some of the new things I learned and my new recipes.

Today’s entrée is the Vegetable Lo Mein that I tried.  It’s the spices that really make this dish good.

 
Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients

8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1¼ cup vegetable broth
2 cups fresh mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup sliced red bell peppers
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
½ cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon curry powder

 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.  Drain.

 Heat 1/4 vegetable broth in a large wok or sauté pan.  Stir fry mushrooms, carrots, peppers, onion and garlic until tender.  Stir in bean sprouts and green onions; cook one minute.  Mix cornstarch and 1 cup vegetable broth in a small bowl and add to stir fry.  Stir in hoisin sauce, honey, soy sauce, ginger, cayenne pepper and curry powder.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.

 Add cooked spaghetti and toss.  Serve immediately.

(Modified from allrecipes.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment