Check back regularly for the latest on following a plant based diet, staying fit, personal spirituality and living a balanced life. I will be sharing my experiences as well as providing answers to some of the questions sent to me.

I will be posting some of my favorite recipes and hope to somehow find the time to setup some cooking demonstrations. I also will be posting some great resources for those who want to learn more about plant based diets.

I believe that today is an awesome day,

but tomorrow is going to be even better!


Sunday, April 7, 2013

Quick, Easy and Tastes Good! Sloppy Joes

I get a lot of requests for recipe ideas for people who need something quick and easy to prepare.  So here it is, one of my new favorites.  One of those standbys that can be made in 15 minutes.  Sloppy Joes!

This is from the Engine 2 Diet Cookbook by Rip Esselstyn.

Sloppy Joes


1 onion chopped
16 ounces frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
1/2 cup water
8 ounces tomato paste
1 tsp. tamari
1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. brown sugar
4 whole grain buns
1 onion sliced into thin rounds (optional)
Sliced dill pickles

Saute' the onion on high heat in a nonstick skillet for 3 minutes, until just translucent.  Add the veggie meat crumbles and 1/4 cup of water to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, until warmed through.  Stir in the tomato paste.  Add the remaining water and stir until thoroughly mixed, using more water as necessary to make a thick sauce.  Stir in the tamari, Worcestershire, and sugar.  Place a generous amount of filling into each bun.    Top with sliced onion and pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment