Check back regularly for the latest on following a plant based diet, staying fit, personal spirituality and living a balanced life. I will be sharing my experiences as well as providing answers to some of the questions sent to me.

I will be posting some of my favorite recipes and hope to somehow find the time to setup some cooking demonstrations. I also will be posting some great resources for those who want to learn more about plant based diets.

I believe that today is an awesome day,

but tomorrow is going to be even better!


Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Visit to the Grocery Store

As the "Food Revolution" takes hold and more and more people look for healthier ways to eat, more products are being made to cater to those wanting to follow a plant based diet.  Some grocery stores even have whole sections dedicated to vegetarian/vegan cooking.

I took a few pictures during a recent trip to Heinen's of a couple of spots in the store that have a great variety of products for those following a plant based diet.

The first is a refrigerated cooler that has some cheese substitutes, tofu and seitan.  This section also has some meatless sausage that I like, too.  I use a lot of the tofu and seitan as meat substitutes.  More on these another day.




Then there is the Vegetarian section in Frozen Foods.  I find it quite ironic that it is right next to the section labeled "Meat."



There is a pretty broad selection of quick fix items.  I can't say that I would recommend all of these to those who are trying to reverse heart disease.  Many of them still have fat content that is too high but these are still better than the alternative meat product.  My wife really likes the Boca Spicy Chicken Patties.






This is one product I do recommend.  It is low in fat and really tastes good.  I keep a box of these in the freezer when I need to grab something quick or just to satisfy that craving for a burger.




This is the crumble product I use in place of ground beef, in chili, soups, shepherd pie, etc.  Really versatile and has the texture of meat. 





In a future post, I will tell you about some of the other stores where I like to shop and some of the things to look for.  The key to sticking with a plant based diet is finding a variety of things you can eat and of course finding food that tastes good.  Both are possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment