Check back regularly for the latest on following a plant based diet, staying fit, personal spirituality and living a balanced life. I will be sharing my experiences as well as providing answers to some of the questions sent to me.

I will be posting some of my favorite recipes and hope to somehow find the time to setup some cooking demonstrations. I also will be posting some great resources for those who want to learn more about plant based diets.

I believe that today is an awesome day,

but tomorrow is going to be even better!


Saturday, March 2, 2013

All About Cookbooks

My Favorite Five (for now!)

I am a cookbook nut.  Whenever I go to the bookstore or log on to Amazon I head straight to the vegan/vegetarian/plant based cookbook section.  The selection is growing by the day as more and more are beginning to understand the great benefits of eating healthy.
So, the question is, which cookbooks are the best to use?  It can be so confusing.  Just as is the case for all cookbooks, some are written for those on the go, some for those who like certain kinds of foods and some for those who prefer gourmet cooking.  Well, here are my favorite five in order of preference. 
(Note: These could change the next time I go to the bookstore.)

The good news is, I have years of recipes to try without repeating.  Who says eating plant based can’t be fun?


#1 Pick:    Forks Over Knives, The Cookbook           By:  Del Sroufe

I love this book.  It has over 300 recipes and they are all plant based.  The pictures and illustrations are fantastic.  The best part is every recipe that I have used has been great and a “repeat.” 
 


 

#2 and #3 Pick:   Everyday Happy Herbivore   

                              Happy Herbivore                       By: Lindsey Dixon 

Both of these cookbooks are great.  The variety of recipes is staggering.  They cover every corner of the world.  I like her second book better because she makes those recipes in thirty minutes or less.  Sometimes cooking plant based takes a lot longer.  The illustrations are very well done as well.  Just looking at the pictures make me hungry!
 
 

#4 Pick:   Everything Vegan                            By:  Vegetarian Times

This is a compilation of over 250 recipes that have been tested in the VT. Kitchen and published in the Vegetarian Times magazine.   I have chosen many meals from this book.  I have not been disappointed.   The pictures are over the top.  You can almost smell them as well as see them.
 


#5 Pick:  Vegan Planet                                           By: Robin Robertson

This cookbook has 400 recipes and is very well organized.  I have tried many recipes and I have found them to be wonderful.  There are no glossy photographs.  But, there are even more great recipes. 
 
 
I hope I have been able to help give you some ideas of where to start.
Peace and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment