Check back regularly for the latest on following a plant based diet, staying fit, personal spirituality and living a balanced life. I will be sharing my experiences as well as providing answers to some of the questions sent to me.

I will be posting some of my favorite recipes and hope to somehow find the time to setup some cooking demonstrations. I also will be posting some great resources for those who want to learn more about plant based diets.

I believe that today is an awesome day,

but tomorrow is going to be even better!


Saturday, March 9, 2013

Meat Substitutes

There are quite a few products that are now being sold that can be used in recipes as substitutes for the meat that we are used to eating.  In the frozen food section in the grocery store, there are several different brands that provide vegetable and soy products that have the taste and texture of meat.  These products are flavored with herbs and spices and created in such a way that you really think you are eating meat.

I use the Boca crumbles in my chili and other dishes instead of ground beef.  There are also days when I am in a hurry and don't have time to cook that I will grab a veggie burger from the freezer. 

When buying these substitue products, make sure you read the label.  Many of these products still contain some high fat content and if you are working on getting your cholesterol down and trying to get heart healthy, you will want to make sure anything you buy is low in fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment